Savory Warm Rainbow Bowl
What I love about making bowls is that you can use whatever is on hand and season it to your taste. Sometimes I'll just season with a little salt & pepper, other times I'll make a Thai peanut sauce or add some salsa and hot sauce and spice it up. My daughter surprised me this morning and made herself a Rainbow Breakfast Bowl, so I'll have to make another post for that one as it was more sweet and these are more savory.
The base of the bowl is usually some type of whole grain: quinoa, rice, and millet are my go-to's. My husband will add some additional toppings like chicken or fish.
Here are some suggestions to Rainbow your Bowl:
- Red: Tomato, red bell pepper, red onion, beets
- Orange: Carrot, orange bell pepper, sweet potato, mandarin orange wedges, turmeric
- Yellow: Yellow bell pepper, corn, summer squash, pineapple, ginger
- Green: Chopped spinach, chard, kale, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, snow or snap peas, cucumber, green bell pepper, celery, bok choy, avocado
- Blue/Purple: Purple cabbage, purple carrots, purple cauliflower, olives, purple kale, eggplant
- White/Tan/Brown: Seeds (flax, hemp, chia, sesame, sunflower), cauliflower, mushrooms, nuts, onions, quinoa, rice, pear, legumes (garbanzos, black beans), garlic
I love how the inspiration for today's bowl looks like a chakra poster! I used a rice and quinoa combo from last night's dinner as the base. I chopped all of my rainbow veggies: red bell pepper, orange carrots, yellow bell pepper, zucchini, broccoli, and purple cabbage. I heated about 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a skillet and sauteed these veggies, seasoning with a little salt and pepper. We also had some sauteed onions and black beans that I added to the mix. Super delicious and done in less than 15 minutes!